Iro and Buba is truly the ever faithful fashion identity of the Nigerian woman. It'll forever be relevant in Nigerian fashion just as it has been from great grandmas generation to mama's and my time. Although younger/new age women tend towards western styles for their traditional fabrics these days leaving 'Iro and Buba' as we know it to the older women folk (except when the fabric is so expensive you don't want to 'waste' it on a 'skirt and blouse' style) Iro and Buba certainly has a firm place in our fashion.
I really like the freedom that wearing Iro and Buba gives but personally, I'm at that certain age gap where I refuse to look ' mumsy' in anything at all...(Yeah I want to look young forever..LOL!) and as the traditional Iro and Buba makes me look and feel old, I started playing with the idea of of tweaking it to make it a bit funkier than it is in what is now my first public stab at design...
I drew a lot of inspiration from the revival of ' Oleku ' (The short Iro/wrapper popular in mama's time and lately reintroduced on the runway by Ituen Basi a designer I absolutely love and respect) I think it just gives the whole ensemble a smarter look so I decided to keep that but instead I played with the 'Buba ' to revamp the old with a breath of fresh air and I think I did good...
Tuesday, 14 June 2016
STYLE: slay that iro and buba
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
we really appreciate your comments